Pages

August 24, 2012

Panko Crusted Salmon Fillet with pesto mayo



I made Panko Crusted Salmon last night. It was super tasty! I can't recall what I was watching, some show on the Food Network. The epi was about a sandwich lathered with a pesto mayo. I keep buying French Bread to make the sandwich, however we would end up eating the bread with other things before we ever made the sandwich. Or I would forget to buy the pesto when I bought the bread...yes, I forget to bring a list. Even when I bring a list I don't look at it all the time. I actually remembered to buy the pesto this time, but ate the bread alone....so I decided to make the pesto mayo and would use it on salmon.

Bread Crumbs: I highly recommend panko bread crumbs. I love the light crispy texture more then regular bread crumbs.


Pesto: I prefer to buy the premade because it's cost effective. I enjoy whatelse but Trader Joes prepared pesto. You can make your own pesto if you do desire!.



Mayo: Please don't use miracle whip! Unless u think it's the best stuff on earth! I prefer my Best Foods (or known as Helmans on the East Coast). I actaully really like Dukes which I found at the Dollar store....it's a popular brand I found when living in Florida, I really like it.

Seafood: Great money saving tip. Walmart has a great frozen food section that carries  Salmon, Tilapia, Shrimp & Scallops. The small bags run $5 (unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii you will pay more.) for four fillets. You can have 4 small servings or two large servings. Fish is individually frozen so it's great! But use whatever salmon you like!


You could even adapt this recipe and instead of salmon try shrimp, or a white fish.

Smoked Paprika: Love this stuff!! If you don't have the smoked version, no need to add the non smoked plain paprika. Smoked gives a nice flavor, non smoked is more of a coloring effect then for flavor.

2 tBs mayo
2 tSp pesto
4 Salmon Fillets
1 cup of panko bread crumbs
2 tBs grated parmesan cheese
Dash of salt to your tasting
Pepper
1/4 tSp Smoked Paprika
2 or 3 tBs Canola Oil for frying

Lemon Sauce (scroll to bottom)
3 lemons
2 tBs butter

In a bowl combine mayo & pesto, mix well. Lightly season fish with a little smoked paprika, salt & pepper. Then rub pesto mayo onto fish. I got my Little Cupcake involved in this process. I gave her a food brush and let her lather it up. I don't suggest allowing a young child to do this with their hands, only becasue the fish is raw and they might try to eat whats off their hand. Just watch the little ones.

In a separate plate combine panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, smoked paprika, dash of pepper & salt




Heat your pan on high until smokey then turn to a medium temperature then add the oil and let heat up until it starts crackling.

Place fish into bread crumbs and coat both sides of fish. Then place into hot oil pan.





Let fish cook for 3 min, check bottom to make sure there is gold brown color. Once ready, flip and cook for another 3 min on the other side. Then place fish on a cooling rack with paper towels underneath to catch any oil. Finish the rest of fish. You may keep fish warm in a warm oven if you have a few fillets to finish. Depending on pan size you should be able to cook 2 fillets at a time.




Also note if your Salmon is on the thicker side you may need to continue to cook for an additional 2 min. If your fish gets brown before the fish is cooked in the middle and you are worried it may burn. Either turn down temperature of  burner to a medium low OR place fish on a cooling rack then place cookie sheet underneath (this will allow air to circulate and not get bottom mushy). Place fish in a preheated oven on 350 for 15 min to allow fish to finish cooking. I personally prefer my fish medium rare, fish is a little opaque in the middle. So cook longer if it's not to your liking.

Serve with your favorite vegetable or salad and with rice for a complete meal. My Little Cupcake likes this version because of the crispy coating.

There are two types, breaded and nonbreaded 


Lemon Sauce
I like a lemon butter finishing sauce. I did not make with this meal because I thought I had lemons but I was wrong.

Still using the same pan you cooked your fish in, dump oil out and any left behind bread crumbs. Place burner on a medium low temperature. Simply squeeze juice from 2 or 3 lemons (you want about 1/3 cup). Place 2 tBs of butter in pan and let melt, then add lemon and let simmer for 2 minutes. Taste to see if you want more butter flavor. If so add 1 tBs of butter to sauce. Let cook for 1 min. You can drizzle onto your fish, or place on the side.



Note: I did make two versions of salmon using the pesto mayo. One was breaded the other was left unbreaded. For unbreaded version follow all the steps, but do not coat fish in bread crumbs and only add 1tBs of oil to pan. 

Non-Breaded Fish




No comments:

Post a Comment