Pages

August 18, 2012

Blueberry Banana Fosters Cake

I saw a recipe idea for an upside down banana coconut cake here it was their version of a pineapple upside down cake. I loved the idea and it looked so good!




We have been having amazing weather the past month and half. Its been very warm and I have not been wanting to cook or turn on the oven. However today I woke up to a nice break in the weather this morning. It was about 60 degrees and we had a 5 min shower. I had the urge to bake and decided to try the Banana Coconut Cake. So as I am thinking of how I am going to do this I realize I don't have that many bananas, no coconut and no bunt or cake pans....I had gone blueberry picking earlier in the week and had a couple cups worth. The blueberries where not that sweet and I could add them to a desert, so I decided to use blueberries.

My version of this cake has a strong lemon flavor, which is what I wanted. The caramel sauce is not strong in flavor, I am thinking because I used light brown sugar.

Blueberries: I used fresh not frozen. Honestly the way this cake turned out was by accident, I was not sure how it would turn out. The blueberries basically leaked all there juices into the bottom of pan into the sauce. I am not sure how this would work with frozen, it may have the same effect or not.

Bananas: Older the better I think. My bananas were a couple days old, the point of where you bake with them, so nice and sweet!

Pan: I used what I had. I had a 13x9 glass dish pan. I wanted to flip the pan upside down to remove it to display the topping. It worked out just fine!

Brown Sugar: You can use whatever you have on hand. I only had light brown sugar. Like I previously stated I think  the light brown sugar did not have a strong caramel flavor and If I used dark it would be more powerful. It all depends on what you want. I actually like how it turned out personally.

Box Cake Mix: I used Duncan Hines Classic White cake mix. Use any box cake mix you have, white or yellow. I think the white cake mix allowed the banana and blueberry to stand out. If you used a yellow cake mix, it may have a stronger butter flavor. I used Duncan Hines because that what was on sale. Because the recipe is using a cake mix directions I am not sure how another brand of cake mix recipe would compare. You would need to compare the directions. My suggestion would be to use the box directions and you can still add the sour cream.

Oil: I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil. You can use whatever you want. I like using coconut oil where I can.

Water: Ok there was a debate going on in my head about how much water I should use. The orig. recipe I used called for 1/2 cup of however the Duncan Hines cake mix called for 1 and 1/4 cup of water. Now orig. reciepe added sour cream so I assume that's why there was less water used...but, ugh I was worried LOL So I ended up adding 1 and 1/8 cup of water. I think next time I will add the 1/2 cup. I found my cake batter was thin which allowed my cake to be a little bit more packed, however I am sure if you used the 1/2 cup of water it will be fluffier. So even if you choose to follow my amount, know you wont screw it up! But who knows maybe you get a better cake if you used 1/2 cup.

Eggs: I used three eggs, because that's what the box mix calls for. However it only calls for the whites, I used the entire egg instead.



3 eggs
2 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 ripe bananas
2 cups of fresh blueberries
1 stick of butter
1 cup of brown sugar
1 ripe juicy lemon and zest of 1 lemon


Preheat oven to 350

In a large bowl  zest lemon skin from your lemon. Combine eggs, water, oil, sour cream, cake mix and lemon zest and using your electric mixer (or by hand) mix all together on a low speed for 30 sec. Then beat on a medium speed for a 2 minutes until batter has no lumps and is smooth. Add in blueberries and fold lightly to combine. Set aside.





On a medium heat melt butter, then turn to low and add brown sugar. Using a whisk keep mixing until smooth for about 5 minutes.





Spray your pan well with cooking spray.

Slice bananas and layer into bottom of pan. Then pour over caramel sauce ontop of sliced bananas. Make sure it evenly distributed. Then pour cake mixture over the caramel sauce and evenly cover.






Place in pan and let bake. Check cake at the 32 minutes mark first to see if cake is done. Insert a knife into the middle of cake, if it pulls out clean its done. However if it is not done and comes out "dirty" with cake batter, bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. Check doness one more time with knife. If clean, remove and let cool. After about 15 minutes run a  knife all along the edge's. Let cake cool completely, for about 1 hour. Then take a cookie sheet (make sure its larger then pan) and place upside down ontop of cake. Then flip over and hope cake removes itself from the pan onto the cookie sheet. Now of course if you used cake pans, use a nice plate to flip it over.




No comments:

Post a Comment