Pages

December 08, 2011

Cranberry Harvest Bread

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSP brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 TBSP Vegetable Oil
1 TSP of Baking Powder
1/2 TSP Baking Soda
1/4 TSP salt
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup of canned jellied (or whole) cranberry sauce
2 TSP of Vanilla
1 TBSP of honey
1/3 cup of milk
1 TSP Cinnamon
1/4 TSP Clove
Chopped/diced Pecans (I only had about TBSP)
1 Small apple diced
1/8 TSP All Spice
1/8 TSP Nutmeg

Pr-heat oven to 350

I wanted to make another quick bread. I had gone to the store to buy applesauce however the store did not have the type of applesauce I wanted, the type I wanted was not in my budget. . So I resolved to make my Banana bread. I was going to make my Banana bread however I saw a leaking cracked bowl of cranberry sauce I had used from a previous meal (roasted chicken). I had no other plans to use it this week for any meals. So I thought, why not use the cranberry sauce like I would applesauce? I had also bought dried cranberries and pecans for some homemade granola I wanted to make. I had planned on using fresh apples too, so why not put that all together in a bread? At first I thought "will this go with my chicken and rice soup I made?" Well why wouldn't it? It would be like eating stuffing and having cranberries with your chicken. Should be great!

Now obviously you can add however much you want of the fillings. However remember what this blog is about, cooking on a budget from scratch. I rather have something fresh and homemade with a little of special ingredients, and not make anything because I don't have a cup of dried nuts or fruit. When you cook on a tight budget having that smell of aromas in your home give that feeling of comfort. Even if you only have a bowl of soup, that fresh bread gives it a more of a full meal feeling. You don't feel deprived.

So on to the instructions for the bread....
Put flour, sugar (brown and white), baking powder, baking soda, oat's, salt all in one bowl and whisk. Now as with everything if you have a kitchen aid or a mixer go ahead and use it, but I don't have one so I do it the "old fashion" way.

  In another bowl add eggs, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, veg.oil, honey, milk, cranberry sauce and mix all together.
Dice up your apples and pecans or whatever nuts you are using. Leave cranberries whole.

 Once wet ingredients are all mixed properly pour into dry ingredients and combine well.
 Then take diced apples, nuts and dried cranberries and fold into the batter. 
 Place batter into a well oiled (or buttered) loaf pan. Then let bake on 350 for 60 min (depends on your oven).  I suggest checking your bread after 50 min. Just use a toothpick or butter knife and insert into the middle of bread loaf. If comes out clean, it is done.





No comments:

Post a Comment